Wednesday, August 29, 2007

He didn't speak at first.

He didn't speak at first. 

They rarely do. 

He had dark, curly hair and a full mustache, hanging over his lip. 

He simply stared at me while I listened to snippets about General Round Mouth. It was only after the children were called off to some lesson that he spoke.

"Why are you still here?"

"You know why I'm here," I told him.

"You're done here," he told me. "You should have left three days ago. We don't want you here."

"I did not come because you wanted," I said. "I will stay until it's time for me to leave."

"You know the number," he said. "It is just as it should be."

I opened my hand and ticked off my fingers as counting, mouthing the numbers one to five. 

Then I did it again, counting six on an invisible finger.

No comments: